Saturday, November 7, 2009

BP9_2009112_Flickr Lesson Plan

Flickr Lesson Plan

When I searched the Internet I found many lesson suggestions related to the traditions of Thanksgiving, however, in today’s intergraded society many families don’t share in the traditional American customs.   I decided to take some of the ideas I found and raised the bar to the next level.  My objective is to increase individual understanding and acceptance of each other, as well as, provide my students with the opportunity to learn to blog and photostream.

From September through January here come the holidays, full of traditions and customs from around the world, and what better time to teach respect and understanding of individual differences and cultures.  Students would be asked to share 3-5 photos showing a holiday custom celebrated within their family and post their first blog explaining the tradition.  For example at my house growing up I might share a picture of the Christmas tree, my father cooking breakfast, and our family opening gifts.  To explain the tradition I would explain that each Christmas morning we would hurry downstairs to look at the tree where we then gathered to open our gifts, finally my father would then cook us a holiday breakfast fit for a king.  A student from Puerto Rico might share a picture of the Christmas tree, a picture of their bed, and the nativity.  Their blog might include information about both Christmas and The Three Kings.  Each child provides a unique look into the customs, traditions and celebrations within their own culture and families.
           
To continue the lesson I would then have my student research the origin of their family customs.  For those of the Jewish faith they might share information on the lights of Hanukah, while I would research and share the history of the Christmas tree, and yet someone of the Muslin faith might share the custom Mehndi, a form of body art, a tradition used during their celebration of holidays.  With each custom and tradition shared the understanding of others would grow, as hopefully would our acceptance.

Sample Lesson Plan





1 comment:

  1. They could also blog about the kinds of traditions they will carry on and new ones they would like to start with their own families.

    ReplyDelete