Sunday, November 15, 2009

BP14_2009113_Peer Review of Web 2.0 Tools


@Kim – Peer Review of Ekoloko

Ekoloko is a Web 2.0 tools that I found during my research. It is a virtual community where kids are able to explore and discover the world both virtual and real. We as students at Full Sail have already had the opportunity to explore Second Life through one of our classes, but I think we agree that not all areas of Second Life are acceptable for kids. Ekoloko gives students a way to explore a virtual world.
Ekoloko give kids an opportunity to acquire values, knowledge and skills to be responsible and involved individuals.

After registering for the website, you are give an opportunity to create and personalize your own character. I chose the sex of my character, hairstyle and clothing and shoes before I began my adventures.

As a member of this community kids are able to chat and hang out with their friends.
Games can be played one on one or community style. There are several different areas where members can go on adventures and explore their surroundings. Characters can be advance levels by game play, which will appeal to many kids.

Kids become part of the ekolokian community, where they can hang out, play games, explore or just have fun. Being part of the community brings with it an awareness and responsibility to the environment they reside in.

Given the environmental awareness these days, this is great site to help students become more aware of environment issues that face the world today. It can help them become more knowledgeable about how our choices affect the world around us.

Kim,

After our last class with Dr. Deason and the project my team developed I couldn't agree with you more about the need for more ways to teach environmental awareness issues to our younger students.  This morning I join, signed on and played Ekoloko, with the exception that I never scored a single basket in the basketball game, I was engaged and had a good time.

My only concern would be to question why they would approve someone of my age for an account?  When I registered I entered my birthday information, which clearly indicates I'm an adult yet I was given an account.  I guess to see how the site is monitored for safety you would have to actually break a security rule and see what happens, but I wasn't brave enough to try it.




No comments:

Post a Comment